Saturday, January 22, 2011

Somewhere Out There I'm a Centaur

Let me break this down for you. I'm going to give you free reign to say anything you want as a pick up line by using physics. Anything.

Now I know that some of you may react to the word physics by locking your door and hiding under your blankets reading a book by flashlight, and as much as I support doing that because it's totally sweet, stick around and hear me out. This is cool, I promise.

We all have a good grasp on our three dimensional world. The zeroth dimension is a single point. The first dimension is a flat line between two points. The second and third dimensions can be a bit tougher to explain without getting into too many mathematical terms about axes and whatnot, which I don't really feel like going into here because it'll just bog down the post. So, since everything we know is three-dimensional, I'm going to go ahead and figure you have a grasp on what the third dimension is.
 This is the third dimension. It's not very impressive. It's not very complicated. But try explaining it.

Here's where it get's fun. Beyond the 3rd dimension are, logically, more dimensions. Accessing the fourth dimension would allow us to cut through three-dimensional space, and as cool as that sounds, we aren't even where I want to get yet. Remember, I'm claiming that you have to power to tell anyone anything you want about yourself and it will be true.

The seventh, eighth, and ninth dimensions are where we are headed. These dimensions actually deal with our universe and the branches it can take. These dimensions are where we encounter something called the Multiverse Theory.

Here's where we were trying to get to. The Multiverse Theory means that there are an infinite number of alternate universes, each bound by its own rules, i.e. separate from the rules that define our universe. If you aren't seeing the possibilities here, let me clarify this. It means that if you think about something, anything, and deem it even remotely possible, somewhere out there it's happening. 

That cute girl / guy you saw at the mall? You're married to them somewhere.

The job interview you didn't do to well on? You're CEO of that company somewhere.

Wish you could fly? Yeah, that's probably happening somewhere. 

My blog is making me rich and famous? Well, I'm gonna see if I can't make that happen in this universe...
Consider your head exploded.

So, ladies and gentlemen, the next time you're out hitting the town and feel like trying to impress members of the opposite sex (or even the same sex, if that's your thing) tell them you're a billionaire astronaut who cures cancer with your tears when you aren't on the clock as a supermodel, because somewhere out there you just might be.

4 comments:

Jacky said...

i have SUCH a hard time trying to wrap my mind around what comes after the 3rd dimension. the common perception is that the 4th dimension is time, but that is misleading to the general public. that is, time can still exist in the 1st dimension and so forth...

at least, that's what i think...?

the other part that fascinates me is imagination itself. some say that humans cannot actually make up something new; rather, we just build on what we experience. others add that, as long as we imagine it, it is possible.

of course, in some alternate universe, i have already proven those thoughts :)

Erich said...

The 4th dimension is usually called spacetime, requiring 3 points of space and one point of time to graph.

If you have difficulty with it there's an AWESOME video called "Imagining the 10th Dimension" out there which teaches you everything there is to know about the dimensions in about 10 minutes.

...of course in an alternate universe you've already seen it. XD

C Suders said...

As an English major and utter failure in science (I've never taken physics and only liked biology because the different parts of the cell have cool names), I appreciate this post. Maybe I am a physicist in an alternate universe ;)

Marisha said...

I just saw a Star Trek episode about this and it was pretty damn awesome.

...Hopefully, in another universe, I'm not as much of a loser xD

Post a Comment