Monday, January 24, 2011

A Plea On Behalf of My Sanity

(note: the following is a piece of creative writing with the intention of making my roommate clean up his shit)

I couldn't have known it would have ended like this. It was so innocent. So simple. And now I huddle here, in the desolation that used to be the vibrant, active athletic center of my campus, armed with nothing but a rowing oar I found in the crew locker room. I fear I have little time. I chronicle the beginning of this event so that future generations can learn from our mistakes, and perhaps...blame someone.

We're college students. I mean, no one wants to wash dishes. Sure, when Quin ate that easy mac no one thought the bowl would be clean any time soon, but we couldn't have anticipated this.

Weeks went by. The bowl sat on the dresser top. It became almost a joke. "Oh yeah Quin it's cool, don't clean that bowl, it's practically part of the room now. Decorative!" Everyone laughed. No one is laughing now...they're all gone.

It started with the dreams. Horribly vivid scenes of cheese crusted bowls suffocating people by diving onto their faces like facehuggers from Alien. As one is wont to do, I just dismissed them as nightmares. I should have seen it coming. I should have stopped this. But I'd be damned if I was going to wash that dish. It wasn't mine, let Quin wash his own crap.

A few weeks later, I started hearing whispers in my ear. Malicious whispers. Their blood will be on your hands, Erich. It said. I was afraid, but what could I do? I couldn't tell anyone what was happening, they'd think I was crazy! Maybe I thought I was crazy too. Maybe that's why I didn't reach out. "Tomorrow I go home for Christmas break," I told myself. "Quin will clean the bowl before he leaves, I'll have a month off, and everything will be fine."

Upon returning to campus I met up with my roommate before even going back to the room. We had lunch and then decided to go back to our room. "It'll be nice to see the room without that stupid bowl of mac&cheese." I laughed.

"Nah, bro, I didn't have time to clean that thing before I left, so it's still in there." He laughed as he inserted his key into the lock. It was the last sentence he ever spoke.

He opened the door and some...thing attacked him. It was a golem made of cheese and fungus with razor sharp macaroni noodles for teeth. It's jaws closed around Quin's head and my roommate was no more.
Forgive me, I had little time, but this is essentially what it looked like. Terrifying I know.


The beast looked at me and I swear it grinned, it's teeth filled with the remains of my roommate. I cried out for help and began to ran. More people came into the hall to see what the commotion was about. I didn't look behind me as a ran, but I know they met the same fate as Quin.

It's been six days since then. I feel the beast has been purposely avoiding hunting me down. He's making me watch what I have wrought. Making me sit by and observe as everyone else on campus suffers for what I have done...or what I didn't do.

But campus is nearly empty, and he's running out of targets. It will be my time soon. I shall fight the beast to the best of my ability. I shall try to stop him. But he has grown too powerful, and I feel I shall join the ranks of the lost. And for this I am sorry.

(Sorry if this post is a little different from regularly scheduled content, but seriously Quin, clean your shit up. This bowl is going to achieve sentience soon, and if these events come to pass it will be all my fault. Hope you guys liked this)

15 comments:

Jully said...

Hi!! Boy U are so good!!! I really Liked this blog!! Hey, I have a blog too and I'd like to entervew you for my blog. Do you accept it? We can do it on MSN. What do you tell me? U can let me a message on my email: lagoa.funny@hotmail.com and sorry, I can not speak english very well....
kisses!!!

C Suders said...

Laughed out loud at this one. What a creative way to coerce your roommates!

I should try this tactic on my husband ;)

Erich said...

Hahaha thanks! I really liked this as well. I really wanted to see how people would respond to a creative writing post so I knew if I could do more of them in the future. I love writing like this hahahaha.

As for the interview request up there...um...sure? hehehe.

Anonymous said...

A) Well written sir
B) I threw it away, happy?
C) Ironic that you used an oar considering I row... But all the oars are at the boathouse, logic fail.

Erich said...

Above poster is Quin. And this post has served its purpose. Mission SUCCESS! THE BOWL IS GONE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Erich this was absolutely hysterical, I loved it! I also love how you refer to Quin as your roommate, hahahaha

Erich said...

thanks anon!

Jessica said...

EWWWWW, hahahahaha! That is gross, but good it's all better now. :P.

And now that you mention it... I think I have something similar under my bed that needs removing.

Kareem said...

love the imagination. I am pretty sure I will not leave a bowl laying around my place anymore. Ill always remember the "golem made of cheese and fungus with razor sharp macaroni noodles for teeth" whenever I find an supervised bowl :) Way to get your creative juices going!

Erich said...

Thanks! I appreciate it! I'll be doing more creative writing in the future I'm sure so be sure to check back!

Kareem said...

Definitely! I have a blog as well that targets college students. If you ever want to be a guest writer let me know. I am sure our readers will be entertained by your creativity :)

Erich said...

haha I'd absolutely love to do that. Send me an email at proverbaialmayhem@gmail.com if you want me to.

Kareem said...

awesome thanks! Did you mean proverbialmayhem@gmail.com ? I tried with the extra "a" but it bounced back.

Erich said...

oops. yes. yes I did. lol. just the name of my blog @ gmail haha

Unknown said...

Ahhh the joys of being a student... I know this scenario all too well! (I'm talking about the mess, not the macaroni monster!) Haha! Great story :) xx

Post a Comment