Friday, January 14, 2011

We're Still Kids Inside

There should be rules in life. Not many, just a specific few that no power could ever break to ensure unnecessary suffering. One of these should be that no child should lose a parent before they're a certain age.

Don't get me wrong, there's no time in any person's life where they wake up in the morning thinking "gee, I think I could do without my father from this day forth!" But there comes a time when you're mature enough, old enough, independent enough to bear the weight that everyone is going to have to bear at some point: losing their mother or father.

One of my closest friends lost her mother a few days ago. And when I say lost, I mean her mother was taken before her time. There was no illness that preceded this, no long drawn out process that made people brace themselves for the end, no signs that this was on the horizon. My friend simply awoke one morning with university security in her room and her dad on the phone. It isn't right.

Now I mean for this blog to be a happy one. Myself, I'm rarely ever not smiling. I think my friends could count the number of times I wasn't happy one of their hands. That's the kind of blog I expect this to be, but this post needs to be written, because I've been thinking about it all day.

I'm 18 years old, as is my friend. I'm still a child inside my heart. I still love animated movies, I still go sledding when it snows, and when I get sick, I still want my mom there to take care of me. It's part of who I am, and I'm too young to give that up. If I got sick, and I didn't even have the option to give my mom a call, just to hear a few comforting words, I don't know what I'd do.

We're in college. This is supposed to be the best time of our lives. My friend is strong, I know that she'll get through this, but still...this shouldn't happen to someone when they're 18 years old. It shouldn't happen to anyone, ever, but it definitely shouldn't happen to someone who's just flown the nest (or is still in the nest. There are so many that lost a parent long before they're 18)

My heart goes out to her. I hope she'll be alright. She's bound for good things and will make her mother proud.

0 comments:

Post a Comment